Friday, July 30, 2010

Anise Infused Pearl Couscous

  
    
Sometimes you're the bride and sometimes the bridesmaid.  Ok, for me that's never the case since I'm a guy, but the point of this recipe isn't the grilled Mahi-Mahi seen here, but instead on making a new and interesting side dish.  Pearl couscous is a fun side.  It has a slippery consistency that's fun in the mouth and not as dry or sticky as rice.  It also supports different flavors well.  I have a Mediterranean preparation I do with a tomato coulis and pan seared tilapia.  But this evening, I wanted to inspire an Asian flavor.  To cook couscous, it's always best to use a stock to help impart flavor.  For this preparation I didn't want to overwhelm with a chicken stock, so I used vegetable stock.  I added turmeric for color, and to inspire an Asian feel I used a little ginger and an anise pod.  This recipe does reflect a weeknight fatigue and lack of patience.  Instead of toasting the couscous in advance, or softening the onion, bell pepper in advance, or infusing the herbs into the ingredients before adding the stock, into the pot it all went.  Feel free to follow those more traditional cooking techniques, but I also hope you value this recipe for its midweek ease and convenience.  About the Mahi-Mahi in the picture, I finally tried cooking it with an agave nectar glaze as has become somewhat popular.  I just topped the fish with the nectar and brushed it across the fish and grilled.  The result was a mildly sweet but still interesting taste.  And hey, it's what tequila is made from, so it has to be good.  Serves 2.
     
Ingredients:
1 cup vegetable stock
1/2 cup pearl couscous
1/2 an orange bell pepper, diced
1/4 red onion, chopped
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1 garlic clove, minced
1 dollop minced ginger
1 anise pod
salt/pepper
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
      
Directions:
In a medium pot over medium high heat, add all of the ingredients except the salt, pepper and cilantro.  Stir and bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.  Cook until the couscous are al dente, perhaps 8-10 minutes.  Allow the mixture to cool if desired.  Season to taste and mix in the cilantro.  Serve.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment