Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Yellow Pea Soup

  
    
Mmm, comfort food.  Last night, I was actually in a good place and wasn't thinking I needed a boost from the inside out, but I came across a package of yellow split peas and my inner blanket reflex kicked in.  All of these split pea recipes are similar, and I posted one last year on split green pea soup.  Yellow peas have a little bit different flavor.  I actually love yellow peas cooked in an Indian curry.  Either way, they are less grassy than green peas.  I also love Indian dal that uses the little black french lentils, another good ingredient presented as lentil soup.  The French sometimes serve their lentil soup with a traditional pork sausage.  I think kielbasa works best here with its smoother flavor.  I like to brown the kielbasa first and then finish cooking the onions and eventually the soup in that oil. In this recipe I also added a bay leaf and herbs de provence.  You can substitute your own spices, in addition to adding celery and carrot if you like.  As always, make it your own and enjoy.  Serves 2.
    
Ingredients:
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 an onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
8" long link of polish kielbasa, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces 
1 tsp herbs de provence
1 bay leaf
8 oz or half a standard bag of yellow peas
3 cups of chicken broth
salt/pepper
     
Directions:
Heat the oil over medium heat in a pot.  Add the onion and soften for 4 minutes.  Add the kielbasa and brown, approximately 4 minutes.  Add the garlic, bay leaf and herbs de provence and allow the flavors to release, approximately 1 minute.  Add the peas and broth, stir and bring to a boil.  Lower the heat, cover and simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour.  If needed, add more broth or water if too much liquid boils off.  Season with salt and pepper.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment