Monday, July 19, 2010

Shrimp, Squid and Avocado Salad

    
  
I have a cookbook I received for Christmas entitled Big Small Plates by Cindy Pawlcyn of Mustards Grill in Napa, California.  I haven't heard of her or the restaurant, but the small plate idea seemed both fun and appropriate for summer when smaller, lighter meals might be better.  This weekend was hot and I had Tex-Mex, so I was in no mood for a large dinner.  I also am trying to continue a seafood theme through the summer months and take advantage of summer produce. This recipe is based on Pawlcyn's Shrimp, Crab and Octopus-Stuffed Avocado with Cilantro-Caper Mayonnaise.  I have never had octopus, so I thought I'd give it a try.  However, my local Whole Foods didn't have it and wasn't in the mood to drive across town to a fish store.  So, I substituted calamari squid.  I also had a container of these cute little orange tomatoes, so I used those.  Pawlcyn also emphasized more of the mayonnaise and less lettuce.  That's the beauty of cooking - you can can shape a recipe to your own tastes and needs.  I thought of this as a dinner meal, so I added lettuce, and who needs a cup of mayonnaise for any reason?  Also, she recommended boiling the octopus 45 minutes to an hour in salted water to make it tender.  With squid and not wanting to take that long, I instead sauteed the squid and shrimp in olive oil and garlic for a very nice effect.  So, for a fun summer salad, try this recipe.  Serves 2.
    
Ingredients:
1/3 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
1 tbsp chopped cilantro leaves
1 tsp capers, rinsed
2 clove garlic, minced
salt/pepper
juice of 1 lime (about 1-2 tbsp)
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp olive oil
8 oz shrimp, peeled
1 squid body (sliced into rings) and several tentacle pieces
1/2 cup cooked crabmeat
1 avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced into wedges
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved if needed
2 cups shredded lettuce
      
Directions:
Make the cilantro-caper mayonnaise by combining the mayonnaise, cilantro, capers, 1 clove of minced garlic and salt and pepper to taste.  Keep chilled until needed.  Make the vinaigrette by combining the lime juice, extra virgin olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.  Set aside.  In a medium saute pan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.  Add 1 tbsp of garlic and let the flavors release a few seconds.  Add the shrimp and saute for two minutes.  Add the squid and mix, to coat the squid and to turn the shrimp.  Cook for 2 minutes longer and remove to a plate.  Take care not to overcook the squid.  Toss the lettuce with the vinaigrette, tomatoes and salt and pepper.  Plate the lettuce mixture.  Arrange the avocado wedges on top of the lettuce.  Mix the squid, shrimp and crab meat in the cilantro-caper mayonnaise and spoon on top of the avocado.  Serve.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment